iMachining 3D for Prismatic Parts
iMachining 3D dramatically reduces programming time for milling prismatic (features located on flat planes) parts, with multiple pockets and islands:
- While standard 2.5D CAM programming requires users to select or define geometry for each feature (both chain and depth) resulting in several operations, iMachining 3D eliminates the need for time-consuming geometry definition by automatically identifying geometry and depth directly from the 3D CAD model.
- Using true Scallop-driven, intelligent step-up technology (small upward steps with constant scallop height) to optimally prepare the part for Finishing during the Roughing cycle, combines Roughing and Rest Roughing in a single operation.
With smaller tools, any number of rest machining operations can be performed - taking into account the Updated Stock model, only the tight areas and corners will be machined.
In order to avoid gouging the Target when working with large tools in confined spaces, iMachining 3D provides automatic protection of the Target model.
iMachining 3D adjusts the tool path to avoid contact between the tool holder and the Updated Stock model, at every stage of the operation.
- Without Holder Collision Protection, the extension of the tool from the holder would need to be longer to machine deep pockets.
- By using a shorter extension of the tool from the holder, the shorter and stronger tool can be run faster and more aggressive.
Pocket recognition automatically identifies all pockets (with different depths and at different levels), and performs a finish cut in a single operation, dramatically reducing your programming time.
- Pocket recognition provides automatic selection and optimal finishing of pocket features in a single operation.
- Finishing is performed using a pattern (contour).
Maximized Performance & Efficiency
Using iMachining 3D to machine prismatic parts, performance and efficiency are automatically maximized to achieve the shortest possible cycle time:
- Uses the deepest step downs first to remove the most amount of material, resulting in optimized depths of cut. Material Removal Rate (MRR) and tool life are maximized and the need for full retracts is eliminated
- Performs intelligent sorting (optimal grouping of close proximity of cuts) for intelligent combining of 2D Z-level regional cuts. Non-cutting moves are also reduced by the 3D Z-level ordering, and localized machining of 2D tool path regions
- Applies smart positioning between 2D Z-level regions. Long position moves are reduced by the 3D Z-level linking and localized machining of 2D tool path regions
- Provides automatic protection of the Target model so that large tools can safely be used in confined spaces